Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Hospital

After much hemming and hawing I decided to go to the ER. I went b/c I was concerned about the future of my reproductive health. I became convinced that I had an ectopic pregnancy, which was not the case thankfully. We're woefully underinsured so I dread the arrival of the bill but my sanity was in jeopardy if I hadn't gotten a medical opinion not derived from WedMd.

The hospital experience itself was surreal. I sent Jim and the kids home after 90 minutes. I was reminded of both my father and brother's chosen career in law enforcement as I observed the police presence in labor and delivery. I live in a carefully constructed bubble, my children attend a progressive private school where everyone is valued and the teachers and staff go by their first names. Mothers who curse, fathers who slap and children who accept this as normal are not a part of my daily routine.

I started this several days ago with a lot more to say on the subject but I'll just end it by noting that my body is fine and my spirit is healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment