Monday, March 16, 2009

Iyanla Vanzant

The Root catches up with Iyanla Vanzant wherein she discusses various personal and financial struggles that have plagued her over the years.

I thought the plague was Oprah's doing but she's not addressed in the article. I never followed her story closely enough to know why she and O parted company. But if she had signed a television deal with O and not Baba Walters she could be living life like Dr. Phil right now. Instead of being uninsured while raising two teen aged grandchildren. But mega bucks don't equate happiness after all, and sometimes they lead to awful cosmetic decisions i.e. Robin McGraw's grill.

Iyanla was my first bona fide verification that Oprah Winfrey, Negro Woman from the South, was a pop cultural force to be reckoned with. Oprah had always been popular amongst the adult black women I knew (and because I was a teenager when she came on the air, my mother didn't send me out the room when controversial topics came up, as she had during Donahue's heyday) Her show was wildly successful by any measure. But it wasn't until a white college friend of mine from a tony suburb in Westchester told me she had Iyanla's books, did I realize Ms. Winfrey was a genuine star maker.

I'm not one for self help books of any kind but after reading of her trials and tribulations, I wish Iyanla all the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment