Monday, April 27, 2009

Hypocrite

I devour gossip boards. Even the ones that essentially stalk the children of famous people. My husband has tried to shame me from this filthy habit, but I can't help myself.

And yet I feel such contempt for the people, presumably women, who post on these sites. How could you have been waiting on baited breath for Sara Michelle Geller to get pregnant? How much of an emotional investment are you making in your hope that Heidi Klum has another girl? Why are you obsessing over Carnie Wilson's choice of name?

Scratch that last one. I actually did obsess over what Halle Berry was naming her daughter. I read an initial rumor that it was my daughter's real name (not to be confused with the name I use for her here). The thought filled me with absolute dread. I am not interested in dressing my children in celebrity fashions, having nurseries inspired by the stars etc, so I definitely don't want to share names with Halle or anybody else. Even if it proves that I'm ahead of the curve.

I was massively relieved that it was close but by no means identical. But even though this tortured me, I would never share my anxiety out loud. This is after the fact, so it doesn't count.

I know, I know.

Pot meet Kettle.

No comments:

Post a Comment