Sunday, April 26, 2009

Movie Talk

Glen Kenny, of Some Came Running, one of my favorite film related web sites, gives a thoughtful review of Jim Jarmusch's The Limits of Control. I always appreciate commentary that is descriptive and informative without resorting to SPOILER ALERT insertions. Anything that evokes Point Blank is a must see for me. And if wikipedia is to be believed, the star Isaach de Bankole, is married to Cassandra Wilson, giving him major bonus points for good taste.

My first taste of Jarmusch came via Night on Earth. I was 17, heartbroken after my first real break up and determined to get the hell out of Brooklyn even if it was just for the afternoon. Off to the Angelika, for my first solo movie going experience. Unfortunately, I thought it was a disaster and avoided Jarmusch for many years after that.

Several years later Jim and his amazing movie collection (definitely alphabetized, in my love struck haze I remember Jarman next to Jarmusch but maybe I'm forgetting someone?) came into my life and Broken Flowers is one of my favorite movies of the past decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment