Thursday, April 30, 2009

Parking on the Street



Is something that never comes up when you live in the suburbs. A few of the multi families that we've looked at in the city proper had garages and all had at *least* a parking pad.

Except for my favorite. It's yellow, which is a major plus for me and spacious, currently being used as a quadraplex. At $600,000 it's at the top of our budget even before we add in the cost to renovate the first floor into a single unit we could occupy.

Pros include the location. It's in what passes as a pedestrian friendly neighborhood, here in the poster city for suburban sprawl. We'd be a stone's throw away from restaurants, bars, eclectic shops, AND a newly built elementary school for the kiddos. Home to a popular arts festival, the neighborhood has become increasingly populated by families.

Despite it's conversion from a single family dwelling to a multi this property has retained a lot of details, character and charm. I sound like a listing agent but after seeing more of these butchered transformations than I can count, this is one I could see us living in with minimal effort.

Or at least that's what I think. But I can't put together little foam baskets, so my project site plans might be a little off.

And no renovation in the world is going to give us parking. The property is far away enough to avoid the human run off (both literal and figurative) that comes with living adjacent to a high traffic commercial zone but I can't imagine trying to find a space on that block after work or on the weekends.

This is actually how I grew up. Not near a hipster social scene (Brooklyn had very few of those in the 70's and 80's) but with out a driveway. One of my parents double parking, so we could unload groceries. Scouting the block on the dreaded alternate side of the street parking mornings to procure a spot on the right side. I didn't come out of the experience particularly scathed but my husband grew up in an area where 2 car garages are deemed inadequate, so I'm not sure if he's ready for that kind of life...

And we've just resumed our search so I'm sure there are plenty of other expensive, inadequate houses for me to fall in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment