Friday, August 20, 2010

Home Sweet Home


We've finally arrived in Florida and so far so good.

My cancer didn't disrupt a whole lot but it did fuck up my plans for the kids education. We are living in a previously vacant house that my FIL owns but it is a temporary situation primarily because what little I knew about the zoned elementary school wasn't encouraging. But I was in no shape physically to do the paperwork for the excellent school I found on the side of town my FIL currently lives in, and figured our zoned school would be ok on a short term basis.

Well, after 2 days we decided to pull the emergency lever on this social experiment. My 5 year old can do my seven year old's homework and he's bright but I don't think he is going to have a phD by 12. My daughter is on automatic pilot, after a week of going over material she mastered in kindergarten. It's a sad statement about the quality of public education at large here and I know that by fleeing the school I am part of the problem.

We aren't technically limousine liberals (does anyone still use that term?) but we have a lifestyle that enables us to have many choices. I know every progressive parent who sends their child to a private school or out of their neighborhood to a "better" public one has valid reasons for doing so. So while I feel slight guilt about it, I'll be transferring them as soon as possible.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend and settled in Florida! Shame about the schools, but yeah, that's the sad reality. I hate the scorn that some people heap on parents for sending their kids to private schools... yes, the public school system needs the community's investment and needs to be improved, but what do they think, that in the meantime kids should take the fall or serve as object lessons? It doesn't work that way! You have to do what is best for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... is that YOUR pool? If so... awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Amber, I'm trying to get my groove back on all fronts including blogging.

    And yes that's our new but temporary home. The pool is definitely the highlight of the house!

    ReplyDelete